Wednesday, January 30, 2008

A Visit to the Dentist

When we went to Algodones the other day, I decided to give another dentist a try. I had broken a tooth at the end of December, and, between the holidays and anticipating paying $400 for a crown, I hadn't gotten around to see the dentist to get it fixed before we left on this trip. Thousands of retirees get all their optical and dental work done, as well as their prescriptions, in Algodones; it is a small town, but there are literally several pharmacias, optical shops, and dentistas on every block. Last year when we were here, although we'd heard what a great deal dental work was in Mexico, we went to the first dental clinic we came to, very large and upscale, and found the prices to be not much different then we'd pay in the States. This time, we picked up one of the many flyers advertising dental services and started off. In the little central town plaza, we were almost immediately accosted by a local who promised to get us into a very good dentist. He had someone make a call on their cell phone, and told us that the receptionist from the clinic would be right over to take us there. Steve was a little leery of the whole process, possibly worrying that we would be led down a dark alley somewhere into a back street and never come out again, but I was quickly getting into the spirit of things, and insisted we wait. Within a few minutes, a cute young woman who spoke excellent English showed up and led us to a nice little professional plaza a couple of blocks away. Once I was safely deposited in the office, Steve took off for the pharmacia and liquor store, promising to be back in a hour. As I sat down in the waiting area, I admit beginning to have second thoughts. Although I had heard mostly nothing but wonderful comments about Algodones dentists, I had also heard one horror story. How did I know that this particular dentist was any good? Almost as if on cue, the lady sitting next to me started chatting; she was waiting for her husband, who was in with the dentist. They were from Nevada, and come to Yuma every winter. Some friends of their who live full-time in Algodones recommended this particular dentist, and she and her husband had been coming to her for several years now. The husband, when he emerged from the office a few minutes later, also gave this dentist rave reviews, so I felt much more confident.

Dr. Ysenia Pompa did the cleaning herself, as well as the exam, and confirmed my unhappy suspicion that I did, in, fact, need a crown. She ground down the tooth, took an impression, popped on a temporary cap, and told me my new crown would be ready the next morning. It was! She was gentle and careful, and I was more than pleased with the result. The price: $150 total--$20 for the cleaning and $130 for the crown. I would definitely see her again next year if we are back this way.

No comments: