Saturday, June 14, 2008

More from Cape Lookout




Yesterday we did the Cape Lookout Hike. They trail winds back and forth along the top of the cape, with amazing ocean views on either side. Steep cliffs that made Steve nervous, as there are no railings or barriers in most p;laces. Lots of moss, beautiful wildflowers, giant slugs, and that snake (from the previous hike). Today we drove the 12 miles into Tillamook. Steve dropped me off at the Farmer's Market, where we agreed to meet later, and headed off for the Tillamook Airplane Museum. He said it was much better than he thought it would be--lots of vintage planes, most of which are privately owned and flown regularly when not on display. They're housed in a WW II blimp hangar, the largest wooden structure in the world at the time. It was used by the Navy during WW II to house the blimps they used to patrol the west coast, looking for enemy submarines.

The Farmer's Market was small, but fun. They had live music--a folksy band--and I learned a new verse to "She'll Be Coming Around the Mountain." Here goes: "We'll have have chocolate ice cream when she comes. Oh, we'll get it from our mother, then we'll get it on each other. . . ." Made me laugh. I bought fresh snow peas for our supper, homemade peanut butter and banana dog biscuits for Ellie, and some shea butter lip balm and foot cream for me. I still had lots of time before Steve was due back, so I got directions to the local quilt shop and set out on foot--about 8 blocks. The shop, Jane's Fabnric Patch, is in a small old house, painted pink. It is crammed, and I mean crammed, with fabric. I bought some fat quarters for the Quilt of Valor I'm working on, and some fun new Laurel Burch Christmas fabric. An added bonus was that the person who waited on me is a kayaker, and gave me directions to a couple of places nearby that she and her husband like to go. We will try one out tomorrow, and see if the repairs that Steve made to his rudder system work.

No comments: