Wednesday, January 20, 2010

Algodones, Sun City West, and Quartzsite Again



We camped at Pilot’s Knob, outside of Yuma, so we could have easy access to Algodones. Pilot’s Knob is not my favorite place--totally flat and barren, and the wind always seems to be blowing there. But it’s only one freeway exit away from Algodones, which makes it very convenient for getting all our Mexico chores done. We got here on Friday, January 8th; I called our dentist and was able to get appointments for us the next day. Cleanings for Steve and I, and Steve needed an old filling that had fallen out replaced. Total cost $125. While we were there, we strolled down the street to Navarro’s Shop to look into getting the seats for the Samurai re-upholstered. We had talked to them last year, but just couldn’t work it in. We told the guy that we absolutely, positively had to have it in and out on the same day--Monday--because we had to leave Yuma on Tuesday for an appointment in Phoenix. He said they could do it, so bright and early Monday morning, we drove both the RV and the Samurai to the border, parked the Palms on the American side, drove the Samurai into Algodones, and walked back across the border. On the walk back, we passed a stall with rugs from Oaxaca, and I stopped to admire. Oaxaca (pronounced Wah HA cah) rugs are similar in quality to Navajo rugs, but far, far less expensive. They are hand-woven wool, colored with vegetable dyes, in traditional Indian designs. I picked out a beautiful runner, about 16” wide and about 7 feet long, with blue, orange, green, and yellow glowing on a deep burgundy background. The seller was only asking $85, a phenomenal price. I bargained with him a little, mostly because they expect that, but happily settled on $80. Unlike the Navajo, Oaxacan rug weaving is traditional done by males. The selers showed us photos of weavers at work on their looms, and stated proudly that both his father and his brother were weavers. In fact, not only had his father woven the rug I was purchasing. He was right there in the shop. I asked to be introduced, and told him how beautiful the rug was and how much I loved it.

We spent the rest of the day wandering around Yuma, looking at real estate and big motor homes. I fell in love with a 37 footer that had French doors and a fireplace, but Steve managed to drag me out of there before I could consummate the relationship.
We got back to Algodones late in the afternoon, stocked up on liquor and prescription drugs, and walked back down the dusty little side street to Navarro’s. Sure enough, it was finished. I almost didn’t recognize our car, because they had washed it inside and out. The upholstery job was beautiful! And it only cost $200.

The next day, Tuesday, as planned, we drove back to my parents’ in Sun City West, so we could take the Royal Palms in to get the levelers repaired on Wednesday. Our son, Chris, and his girlfriend, Sharon drove up from Tempe , and my mom made a delicious dinner of stuffed green peppers, smashed potatoes, and corn bread, and a stupendous chocolate torte that I now have the recipe for. Yum!! Wednesday night, my dad made plotski (Polish potato pancakes), and both Steve and I ate far, far too many. It was a good thing we left bright and early Thursday morning, or I wouldn’t have been able to fit into any of my clothes.

We are now back in Quartzsite, camping in a short term BLM area called La Paz Valley, about 6 miles outside of town, with the FMCA 4 Wheelers. There were a few familiar faces from the Kingman rally, and lots of people we didn’t know at all. I’m not sure of the exact total, but there are at least 50 rigs here for the rally. Today was the official start of the rally, kicked off with a potluck hot dog dinner. You were supposed to bring a main dish containing hot dogs, and/or a side dish or dessert. I’ve never seen so many ways to cook hot dogs! There were beans and wienies, sweet and sour hot dogs, hot dog burritos, even hot dog lasagna. It was all delicious, weird as it sounds. I made Thai rice pudding (no hot dogs!) and it was a big hit.

Tomorrow we lead our ride to Tank and Cottonwood Passes. Steve got the trail loaded into the hand-held GPS, although not the nuvii, our lunches are made, supplies packed, and we are ready to go. I even remembered chocolate for the gate-closing “thank you.” I just hope nothing embarrassing happens, like getting lost.

No comments: